Sonic’s pickle juice slush is here! When Sonic first announced that they’d be carrying a pickle-flavored drink, I was boggled. I had never been that into eating pickles (which I honestly thought were the epitome of a pregnancy craving) until one fateful day a few months back when, for the first time in a decade, I ate the pickle spear that came with my sandwich at Panera instead of chucking it straight into the trash. I was hooked.
I knew that I had to give Sonic’s new pickle juice slush a try. I drove all the way to the fringes of Los Angeles County to the nearest Sonic in Duarte to pick one up, and I was a little let down.
Though it had a distinct pickle smell, the slush just tasted like a tangier version of a lime slushie — pickle was not the prevalent flavor, it was more of an aftertaste than anything. The pickle juice slush was super sweet and not at all like the dill pickle in a cup that I think I was secretly hoping for.
The entire country is in a state of shock in the wake of Brian William’s admission that he “misremembered” the fact that he wasn’t on a helicopter that was shot down over Iraq in 2003. In Brian’s defense, I also “misremembered” how much pizza I ate to celebrate #NationalPizzaDay last night until I woke up this morning with an empty Domino’s box on the floor next to my bed. It happens to the best of us, Brian. Here are a few pop culture moments & artifacts that I would like to “misremember”:
- Season 3 of Glee. You lost us all, Ryan Murphy.
- Jay-Z and Beyonce’s divorce scare last summer: I couldn’t care less about their relationship; I’m more ashamed to admit that I fell for it hook, line and sinker (although I still loved every minute of it!).
- Hello Kitty not actually being a cat: Is Pikachu also a dolphin? Is Mickey Mouse a wolf?
- That time I lost the race for freshmen class president: I had the best campaign posters…not too sure what happened here.
- Kanye West.
- The elusive #3 pencil: I’m so #grateful that I will never have to bubble another Scantron test while worrying that my writing implement isn’t a #2 pencil.
- The rise of Bluetooth earpieces: I still get tricked into thinking that strangers are clamoring to chat with me in public when, in reality, they’re gabbing into their phones. Extrovert problems…
- That one time in high school when I was 40lbs overweight and bought the wrong shade of stage makeup for the play I was in (see photo): I was chubby and orange two years before Snooki made it cool!
- Microsoft Zune: the iPod’s short-lived rival was the musical equivalent of buying a Coach purse instead of a Louis Vuitton bag.
- Kanye West.
- Speaking of iPods, iPod Condoms Socks.
- My credit card debt: What? I don’t have any debt!
- Lady Gaga’s meat dress at the 2010 VMA’s: All I could think about when I saw this get-up was the stench of raw meat overwhelming my cologne. NOT HAVING IT.
- Gangnam Style, the Harlem Shake and ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: Some things just shouldn’t have gone viral.
- Kanye West.
- Every picture of me on Facebook prior to 2012.
- Britney Spears circa 2007/2008: WE STILL LOVE YOU, BABYGIRL!
What are you trying to “misremember”? Let me know on Twitter and Instagram and hit the “Like” button below!
Did you know that 2 billion disposable razors, 8 billion single-serving coffee pods and 11.5 billion disposable plastic water bottles end up in landfills every year? These plastics take centuries to decompose and are extremely harmful and dangerous to the environment. I’ve been making a concentrated effort recently to reduce the amount of waste that I produce. Here are a few of the simple things that I’m doing to keep plastic out of the landfill and save money:
Although FLOSSERS are the perfect solution to my big hand/little mouth problem, they are ridiculously wasteful. Find a model of flosser that has a reusable handle and a disposable head; although you are still discarding the head each day, you have significantly reduced the amount of plastic being thrown away.
Same thing with DISPOSABLE RAZORS! Find a razor with a reusable plastic or metal shaft and disposable blades. I’m a big fan of Dollar Shave Club.
You should never pay for SHIPPING MATERIALS! Chances are you have a ton of discarded boxes laying around your house that can easily be repurposed when it’s time to ship out your goodies. Protip: don’t open your packages like a monster and you can easily give your boxes and shipping envelopes new life.
Stop the K-CUP madness! Keurig now makes a reusable K-Cup: all you have to do is supply your own ground coffee (and, let’s be honest, K-Cups are hella expensive so a reusable K-Cup will quickly pay for itself). Be warned: even the biodegradable K-Cups aren’t 100% compostable, you actually have to disassemble them and throw away the plastic topper.
PLASTIC GROCERY BAGS should be long gone by now. The litany of plastic bags that you use for 20 minutes between the grocery store and your house take centuries to decompose in a landfill. Invest in some reusable bags, yo! You can find them for free all over the place these days…there’s no excuse not to! Many retailers also offer incentives to bring your own bags.
A lot of people mistakenly believe that ZIPLOC BAGGIES represent the universal portion size of anything and everything. Guess what? FALSE! Invest in some portion control reusable plastic containers for your snacks and you’ll be less likely to eat like a hog and more likely to save the planet.
Plastic WATER BOTTLES make my heart sad. Pick up a reusable water bottle if for no other reason than the skyrocketing cost of vending machine water bottles. Why pay $3 for a bottle of water when you can refill your reusable bottle for FREE? Invest in a good durable water bottle, cheap aluminum bottles will look like you used them to bludgeon somebody to death after a few collisions with the ground.
How are you living your daily life more sustainably? Let me know on Twitter and Instagram and hit the “Like” button below!
This is the worst time of the year: Everybody is broke, fat and exhausted from the holiday season, it’s too cold to do anything worthwhile outside, it gets dark at 5pm and your New Year’s resolution (remember that?) has probably died a slow death. Since life is so horrible right now, you might as well plant yourself in front of the television and escape into a world where things aren’t so terrible for a few days. Check out these six shows I love that you should be binge-watching for the rest of winter: Continue reading “6 Shows That You Should Be Binge-Watching”
Is the U Street Music Hall the most luxurious establishment? Not by a long shot, BUT there’s something amazingly special about seeing an artist who sells out arenas in Europe perform to an intimate crowd in a basement club. Paloma Faith is currently making the rounds in the United States promoting her upcoming third album “A Perfect Contradiction” (Sony Music, October 7).
Her hourlong set was a mix of new songs and old favorites. I could go into painstaking detail but I’ll just leave it at this: it was perfect. Faith is a wonderfully gifted performer and a fantastic songwriter whose big break in the U.S. is long overdue.
At the top of her set, Faith announced, to wild applause, “I’m here to make you love me!”. Mission accomplished.
I posted a few videos on my Instagram account and put together a video with some longer clips on YouTube: